Sunday, October 12, 2014

Government employees in Congress Heights?

I keep running into articles or statements that suggest government employees do not live in or frequent Congress Heights. I would agree that they don't so in large numbers. But I do know that more than a handful of government employees, both federal and local, already live in Congress Heights. Some have been living here for decades. Others are newer arrivals.

From my anecdotal observations, I would go as far as saying the local and federal government are the single largest employers in the neighborhood that I know of. I am talking about blue and white collar jobs. It makes sense because we are located so close to many government buildings and to downtown DC in general. Just food for thought!

2 comments:

  1. I don't have the raw data but the DIA, Bolling, USCG, DHS and other agencies are the major employment centers in Ward 8 neighborhoods. The question is what percentage of their workers live within the immediate zip codes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing! And thank you for helping me clarify what I meant to say :) What I meant is that the local and federal government are the single largest employers of people in our neighborhood from what I've observed. These government installations aren't just isolated fortresses located in our neighborhood that people commute to from Gaithersburg. I think people don't recognize that a lot of their neighbors do work there!

      Delete