Tuesday, August 5, 2014

WTOP: $75 tickets for littering!

Fellow Congress Heights resident, Brian Townes, commented on my post about Shepherd Parkway that the police is now ticketing for litter. Thanks for sharing the good news!

This is a good start that I hope will help reduce litter. I'm surprised this wasn't standard operating procedure previously. Honestly, though, I'm not sure how the enforcement of this is going to work. I've only seen someone littering once in my two years here. Most of the litter seems to magically materialize overnight. I hope the police has better luck running into the rogue litterbugs than I do!


Here's a snippet from an article I saw on wtop.com. To see the whole article, click here.

"The Metropolitan Police Department will begin issuing $75 tickets to pedestrians caught tossing trash on public streets, waterways, or someone else's property."

"Officers in the sixth district, which is east of the Anacostia River, and the fourth district, which covers an area east of Rock Creek Park are now issuing tickets."

No comments:

Post a Comment