Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Excellent Children's Health Center on MLK

Unfortunately my poor baby was sick last week, and we had to take him to the doctor. Usually we go to my baby's pediatrician downtown, who is really great (but downtown). It was traffic hour and hot outside, and besides my doctor wasn't taking sick patients anymore. So I decided to try out the neighborhood children's health clinic close to home on MLK. I LOVED it.

I'm not going to lie. Before going, I was concerned that the neighborhood clinic might be a repository for dud doctors and inferior services. But that was definitely not the case there.

The receptionist told us they couldn't take us the same day because we weren't their patients, but they could sign us up for the next day. The nurse stopped by to speak with us in the meantime and told us we would really like it there.

We went back the next day. (Did I mention we walked to the clinic? It is one block south of Sheppard Park.)  Had a short wait. The waiting room was clean, bright and airy. It is a Children's National Hospital neighborhood outreach clinic, and the pediatrician we saw was excellent. She was thorough in my baby's examination. Heard my baby's heart murmur, which only every other doctor seems to hear. Told us what my baby had (ear infection, again!) and even took the time to chat with us. We did not feel rushed at all. It was a very positive experience, and I signed my baby up to have his regular well child visits there.

PLUS, the sick child visit was free! Our previous pediatrician used to charge us a 25 dollar copayment for every sick child visit. I don't know if everyone does that, but I was pleasantly surprised to not have to pay for the visit.

Another reason I love Congress Heights:  We have our own excellent walkable children's clinic. Who knew? Now all we need is a place for brunch on Sundays other than the packed IHOP. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment