Thursday, November 6, 2014

Tutoring in SE turns a guided tour of SE

I went tutoring for the first time at Malcolm X Elementary School this week with some of my coworkers. We tutored students of different ages. The kids were great, and we had a good time.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of my coworkers hadn't ventured into SE DC before, despite working on its fringes. Being the shameless braggart that I am, I took the opportunity to tell them about the wonderful place I call home. On your left is my big, beautiful and extremely well-priced brick house. On your right is the National Park where bald eagles nest and my baby and I play, etc, etc. :)

Needless to say, my colleagues enjoyed the scenic drive along Oxon Run Parkway and left with positive impressions of the school and the neighborhood. I was so proud to show off the neighborhood that I call home.

2 comments:

  1. Can you post a contact for tutoring in the neighborhood? Was it directly with the school or an NGO or other organization?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gallegoscot!

      Thanks for writing! Unfortunately, I don't have a good contact for you for tutoring. I tutor through my workplace, and I don't think they take outside volunteers. I'll check though and also ask the teacher we work with.

      I'm sure if you were to call the principal or school where you are interested in volunteering, they would welcome you and appreciate your help though. I'm sure there are NGOs coordinating volunteer efforts as well. But I don't know any off the top of my head. Sorry to be of little help. :(

      Delete