Monday, June 23, 2014

Farmer's Markets: Gateway vs THEARC, Part 2


So I went to the Ward 8 Farmer's Market at THEARC for the second time this summer on Saturday and bought some delicious cucumbers, Swiss chard, tomatoes, cabbage, apples, beets, lettuce, etc. I nearly filled up my fridge with $25. Last, last week I bought strawberries and blueberries as well. Awesome!

Advantages:
-Nice variety of local produce. Granted both the farmer's market at Gateway and THEARC are small, but the one at THEARC has a slightly larger mix of vendors. It shows how even a couple more stalls can add to the vibrancy of a farmer's market. Plus, you can check out the garden where THEARC grows the produce they sell at their stand. So you know it's local.
-Every Saturday! No need to remember when it happens. It takes place even when it's drizzling like last week, making it a dependable place to get your fresh produce. That's the way it should be.
-Playground. There's a big playground for the kids to run around in. Put dad into the nicely fenced-in playground with the baby, and you're free to go shopping.
-A familiar face. I was going to say I didn't recognize anyone at the market because it was in a part of the ward I usually do not visit, but then I remembered I saw Nate there, who wouldn't recognize me if he ran into me again, and I don't know how he would feel about me namedropping like this. :) But I will because he works for a good cause--cleaning up Sheppard Park, the National Park in our backyard, home to bald eagles. He is also apparently in charge of farmer markets! What a cool job.

Disadvantages:
-Farther away. For us, it requires a drive. There's probably a bus that goes in that direction. But usually we just wait for my husband to wake up for him to take us. I'd be up for the mile and a half walk, but my baby probably wouldn't like it. We walked to Giant once, and that was more than enough.
-Located in a parking lot. I admit I've been spoiled with awesome farmer's markets growing up. So this point is petty, but it is so nice and also cooler when farmer's markets are held in places other than parking lots. See my previous post about the Pavilion farmer's market and shade.

Another nice thing about both farmer's markets. Everyone is really nice AND they make it easy to pay. At many farmer's markets, I've been to vendors only take cash. But unfortunately I almost never carry around cash, because I have a sweet tooth and would spend all my money at the vending machine, if given the opportunity. So it's nice when vendors make it easy to buy things.

No comments:

Post a Comment