Thursday, June 26, 2014

Things I love to do close to home with my baby

One of the reasons I love Congress Heights is because we are so unbelievably close to downtown DC and other centers of activity. I wanted to highlight things that I love to do close to home with my baby and would like to hear your favorites. Even grown up people things because sometimes we do that too :)

1. The Yards Park. We love attending the Friday evening concerts. This week there's a jazz performance as a part of DC's jazz festival. Did I mention they are FREE? Starts at 6 pm. AND they have a wading pool for kids. Love it.

2. The playground. We have a handful of favorites, namely Turtle Park on 4th St SE on Capitol Hill. They have a bunch of community toys for the babies to play with. But there's some playgrounds we haven't tried out yet. I heard about the pirate ship that was built in/near Anacostia Park. We haven't gone yet.

3. Oxon Hill Farm. Cows, chickens and goats, oh my. My baby would go every week, if we would take him. He loves talking about the cows and the chickens. Plus, the visitor's center has a children's corner with farmhouse toys for indoor play that's nicely air-conditioned for midmorning breaks.

4. Canal Park also in Navy Yard neighborhood. My baby loves the fountains. Also, there is a really shallow wading pool, if you walk one north of the fountains. The whole area is really interesting for my baby. You wouldn't think it would be but my baby loves exploring those blocks.

5. The Museums. My baby loves the Air and Space Museum. He also likes the Native American Museum. They have a really great interactive exhibit for kids of all ages on the third floor. I haven't gone to the Building Museum yet though I've heard its really kid-friendly too.

6. National Harbor.  Two different parts of it in particular. First, the "beach" where the water god (what was his name again?) comes out of the sand. Next, the carousel that costs 5 dollars for all day rides, with a playground next door. Also as you've probably noticed, there's a Ben and Jerry's between the beach and carousel. Both momma and baby are happy :)

5. Just going out for a walk. The baby loves taking me out on walks. He knows the way to everything, the playground, the corner store, even the pizzeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment