Monday, June 23, 2014

Buying in Congress Heights WITH a Baby

Did I mention I have a baby? :)

Part of the discussion about millennials moving out of DC was their desire to raise a family somewhere safe, affordable and with good schools. Why would I, a millennial, buy a house in Congress Heights with a baby in tow? 

Part of my calculus on living here with a baby is based on how much I like Congress Heights. Congress Heights' reputation isn't great, but I love it here. I am willing to bet the reality of the neighborhood schools likewise exceeds its reputation. I'm sure we will find committed teachers, working their butts off in our neighborhood school, and other parents and students, who are also committed to getting an education in spite of the reputation.

We are going to try our hand at the school lottery and all that good stuff. But we will attend the neighborhood school, when we don't win the lottery, and I am sure we will find likeminded neighbors, who are also interested in ensuring their children get the best education possible.

I know everyone wants the best for their kids. Are there any readers out there who can share their experience with MLK Elementary or some of the other neighboring schools? I'd be interested to hear more about them!

2 comments:

  1. There is always homeschooling....
    We're not parents yet, but homeschooling is an option we've discussed. Though it is after the option of Catholic school with scary nuns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mari,
    I probably would consider homeschooling like you do as an option after private school. I think I might enjoy it, but I'd be nervous to lose my awesome job and benefits. However, I know someone with two kids, who bought in Anacostia, who is doing exactly that :)

    ReplyDelete