Monday, June 23, 2014

Farmer's Markets: Gateway vs THEARC, Part 1

 

There's a couple of things that really excite me in this world. Farmer's markets and good fresh food are two of them! I attend both farmer's markets that I know of in Ward 8. The one at THEARC and the one at Gateway Pavilion. If there's more, please let me know. I would love to check them out.

I like them both for different reasons. In this post I'm going to examine the advantages and disadvantages of both farmer's markets, starting with the one at Gateway Pavilion.

Advantages:
-Proximity! It is very close to my house. I can walk there with my baby, and my baby enjoys the walk.
-Scenic. I've been to MANY farmer's markets in my day. My favorite remains to be in my hometown, which is held in a park, but I definitely enjoy the space at the Pavilion and think it offers a nice backdrop for a farmer's market.
-Shade. I'm probably more sensitive to the sun than most to my husband's chagrin. (I fainted during my honeymoon due to the sun.) With DC's extremely hot summers and all, I truly appreciate the protection from the elements. The market is held in the community space underneath the balcony. You know what I'm talking about.
-Friends. In addition to my neighbors, I ran into a childhood friend at the Pavilion. He was one of my best friends in 7th grade from the Midwest. No joke! Really cool guy, who runs the Mobile Market, a school bus that's loaded with local produce. Apparently, the Mobile Market shows up frequently throughout the neighborhood. I haven't stopped by during their weekday visits, but apparently they are at the Pavilion every Thursday 11am-1pm as well, according to their schedule here. (Can't wait to stop by!)

Disadvantages
-Only once a month. I have to put it on my calendar otherwise I forget that the market is taking place. It happens on the first Saturday of every month.
-More traditional food than local produce/farmer's market fare. Kudos to Whole Foods for setting up shop! It's a great start. They have a variety of unexpected products like shrimp and fresh fish. And sometimes my baby just wants a banana, which they sell! However, it feels more like an outdoors grocery store than a farmer's market. We do need more grocery stores in Ward 8.... but at a farmer's market, I'd appreciate seeing more variety with more local vendors and produce. I bet this will get better over time.
-No playground. During the winter, there was a family room with games when the Pavilion hosted the ice slide. Something like that for the farmer's market would be wonderful. I bet KidFriendlyDC would be all over that. Now that I've said that aloud I'll recommend it to the nice lady in charge next time I'm there.

One of the best things about both farmer's markets:

-No lines! I can't count the number of times I've stood in a extremely LONG line at Safeway, Trader Joe's and especially Giant. How refreshing is it to do your grocery shopping outdoors with no wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment